Let me start by sharing my theme for the year with you...
...We're going on a Learning Safari!
Another wonderful amazing teacher at my school (and one of my best friends at my school) is currently in Africa, and while she taught kindergarten last year, this year she's moving to 5th grade. As a motivator for her to visit my class (and to bring her awesome students with) I am doing a Safari theme since she loves Africa and is planning to move there one day!
In no particular order, here are some of the ways I see the theme popping up in my classroom:
- "Spotted: Great Work!" --to show off my students' awesome hard work in the classroom
- "Leap into Learning about..." --for our concept/question board
- "Top Toucan" --a.k.a. Star of the Week
- Music during workshop (and the occasional dance party--you know, Elton John's I Just Can't Wait to be King is the perfect song to rock out to)...The Lion King musical soundtrack
- Leopards Earning their Spots-- maybe to track the books we read or when they bring back their reading logs? We shall see...oooh or maybe it will be my whole class tracker!
Some photos I've found for inspiration:
CLASS MOTTO: Hakuna matata.