Wednesday, March 30, 2011

RAWR! Student Writing!

At the beginning of the school year, I was at Target and saw the cutest hamper...

I knew I needed it, because it clearly fit my safari theme. I was also inspired by Sarah Cooley's "Sound Muncher" (Check out her super cute blog: First Grader...at Last!), but I wasn't sure exactly how I'd use it in my classroom.

For part of a grad school assignment last semester though, I decided to turn the lion hamper into my mailbox. Students could write me notes or draw pictures for me and put them in my mailbox, and I promised to check it...and a trend began! Usually I give students some direction with their writing, but if it is a free choice, I often have a few letters or pictures waiting for me at the end of the day.

Today's letter, however, just made my day! I think I am going to frame it for when this student wins a Nobel Prize or Genius Award, because I'm pretty sure she will, and I want to be able to say: "I was her kindergarten teacher!"

Continued on the back: I used crayons. how do you like it.

Ridiculously amazing, right? I love my job and my students.

No comments: