Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Centers Management...and Next Steps (of course!)!

Welp, my goal of a weekly blog post=so far not working out for me! I don't even have much time to get this post written, because it's already 11:18 p.m., and when your day starts at 7:15 (and by "when your day starts" I mean instructional staff hours are 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), well sleeping by midnight is usually a goal! :)

One goal I have been keeping up with though is taking more pictures of my classroom. I never realized what a visual person I am until I noticed that:
1. When I do classroom observations, all I really want to do is look around at what is on the walls of each teacher's room.
2. I cringe at anchor charts I make that are messy and feel tempted to make them again (I've been known to "prettify" my anchor charts overnight!).
3. I scroll through blog posts and stop and read the ones with pictures I like.

So, here in fewer words and more pictures is how I manage centers in my class:

This chart shows what center students will be going to each day.

Writing Center--
Filled with anchor charts galore (and trust me, I know some of these anchor charts need to be re-done!)







Poetry Center


I recently starting adding the vocabulary charts we make each week for reading comprehension as a challenge for my higher students.

Sight Word poems from the best book ever! Thank you, Scholastic! http://www.amazon.com/Sight-Poetry-Pages-Fill-Blank/dp/0439554381

Listening Center--
I just had an amazing volunteer come organize all my books on tape! I'll have to take a photo soon--it's beautiful! We are now venturing into non-fiction stories to support our non-fiction writing.


ABC Center


Library--Featuring new pillows from the Target Dollar section. :)


The Seldom Used Computer Center...

We have an awesome program called Dreambox for math, but I don't know the best program for phonics/reading to help students and to keep them from playing too much! Any suggestions? I really do want to get my students back on computers!


My next centers steps (a.k.a. please tell me how you do these things!):
1. Differentiating work for students
2. Increasing student responsibility and accountability for work (Right now we use folders, and I check their work...I'm learning toward a "centers rubric" to help students evaluate themselves!)
3. Library: How do I increase accountability at this center without lessening the idea that we can sometimes just read for fun?

I've been loving reading all the blogs popping up in my reader--I promise to follow up on some of the comments that recently popped up on my blog too! For now, I'm off to bed...

2 comments:

Sara said...

New reader...found you on Pinterest...
:)

Do you use Starfall.com for your reading on the computer???

It's FANTASTIC!

Alex said...

Yup, we LOVE Starfall!! I wish there was a way I could monitor my kids even more on it, but it's wonderful!!